Dear Tapestries of Hope supporter:
Thank you so much for supporting the work we are doing in Zimbabwe and for kids everywhere. As some of you may know, I went to Washington, DC last week to meet with Senators, members of Congress and House representatives to address the issues in Zimbabwe. There were a couple key issues that I presented:
• The Rape and Abuse of girls and infants in Zimbabwe is increasing. Unfortunately, the age of the child being raped is decreasing. We videotaped a doctor who discussed the rape and abuse of a one day old infant.
• The Hunger and poverty issues are at critical levels, with current news reporting Zimbabweans eating their dogs and cats as a way to fend off total starvation.
Washington’s initial response was worse than pathetic. Some of the comments included:
• Congress has “Rape fatigue right now”
• Congress has already approved appropriations for foreign aid for the year.
My favorite bit of advice (from a Washington strategist) suggested I use fear tactics to let Congress know that the rape and abuse of young children is coming here, as African men are migrating.
(I am not kidding!)
Here is what you can do:
1. Help us make our FACEBOOK group and causes pages grow. Tell your friends to join Facebook and join the 'Silent Bravery: Tapestries of Hope' group. Also have them join the TAPESTRIES OF HOPE cause!
2. Donate to our cause. Every dollar helps!
3. Call or email your government representatives to tell them we must do more to help in Zimbabwe. You can reach the following representatives by phone or email:
Subcommittee on African Affairs:
Senator Russell D. Feingold, Chairman
• Savannah Lengsfelder: Legislative Assistant, Human Right and African Affairs: email@example.com
• Washington Office: (202) 224-5323
Senator Barack Obama
• Elizabeth Olson: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Adam Cohn: email@example.com
• Washington Office: (202) 224-2854
Subcommittee on International Operations and Organizations,
Democracy and Human Rights
Senator Bill Nelson, Chairman
• Rob Gatehouse: Foreign Relations: 202-224-5274
Senator David Vitter, Ranking Member
• Rachel Bolander: (202) 224-4623
THANK YOU for doing one thing to shift the world to a better place.