2007 was not an easy year - as a lot of supporters know - for the project. After a challenging pre-production schedule during which many who understood the subject matter and/or the geo-political dynamics in Zimbabwe recommended against doing the project - the crew ran into some 'difficulties' in Zimbabwe during production. As a result, all blogs written during the shoot had to be temporarily removed out of concern for safety of director Michealene C Risley & the crew!
We've come a long way since then and are very excited about where the project is headed in the next several weeks and months. Here is a re-cap at some of the key recent milestones:
- Huffington Post carried a series of blogs written by Michealene Risley describing the incidents during the shoot.
- The Tapestries trailer (recently updated for better readability) is featured as the #1 video under "Film and Animation" Category on YouTube. Stay tuned for more teasers!
- IndieGoGo, a new community site which connects filmmakers with their fan bases and supporters and launching at an exclusive Sundance 2008 event and party, will feature Tapestries as a launch partner. Other filmmakers signed up include Steven Starr (For Love or Water, 2008 Sundance selection), M dot Stange (We are the Strange, 2007 Sundance selection), and Chris Roberts (The Believer, 2003 Sundance Grand Jury Prize Winner).
- This blog recently won the New Communications Review’s ‘Award of Excellence’ due to the live blogs Michealene posted while in production in Zimbabwe.
- Our Facebook Group “Silent Bravery: Women of Africa” has close to 1,000 members and our continued collaborations include Stanford University to make headway on the social initiative leading up to the film's release.
- Keplers' bookstore in Menlo Park and La Belle Day Spa in Palo Alto are carrying a line of silver jewelry (also available online at http://savehope.blogspot.com) that designer Janelle Gibson co-launched with Freshwater Haven (the non-profit side of Fresh Water Spigot) to support the project.
We look forward to your continued support!